Hometown: Bellingham, Washington
Degree: B.A. in Music, minor Communication, Northwest University
Toll Free: 1.800.669.3781
Hello! My name is Doug Harkness, and I am part of the Admissions team here at NU, serving students in Whatcom, Skagit, Island, and South King Counties, the Olympic Peninsula, Alaska, and the Mountain states (Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.), among others. I am an alumnus of Northwest, and immensely enjoyed my time as a student here. I am so excited to share my experiences at NU with you, and help you in any way I can to make NU a reality for you! I hope that you have the opportunity to experience the Christ-centered community and truly excellent academics that NU has to offer. I look forward to meeting you! Please shoot me an email or call me if you have any questions about the admissions process.
- Favorite aspect of NU: Ask anyone at NU this question, and they’ll automatically give you one word: COMMUNITY! No…not the TV show. The amazing thing about NU is the welcoming community that is found here. We all have our different backgrounds, our stories that make us unique, but we all believe in the same God who made a way for us, and we all have a similar purpose—to CARRY the CALL of God upon our lives into whichever vocation we’re studying. Come experience Northwest and see for yourself!
- Favorite Music: I’m a music major, so it’s honestly easier to list LEAST favorite music…which is Heavy Metal/Screamo, Rap (unless they sing occasionally to change it up), and most Country music (most of it’s just too sad and repetitive).
- Favorite place in Seattle: So hard to pick! This isn’t really a set location, but taking the ferry out of Seattle is my absolute favorite thing to do—I LOVE the Seattle cityscape! We truly live in a beautiful area.
- Favorite movie: Any X-Men or Bourne series movie.
- Favorite food: Guilt-free? Burgermaster. Thinking healthy? Caesar salad from Panera.
- Favorite Starbucks order: Iced grande peppermint green tea latte, no classic, with 4 scoops Matcha (I don’t like coffee).
- Most unforgettable trip: New Jersey & New York, saw all the sights, saw Phantom on Broadway, saw Will Ferrell filming near Rockefeller Plaza! Too many great memories from that trip. Furthest from home I’ve ever been!