Northwest Undergrad

Transfer Guide

Admission to the University and Financial Aid

Application Deadlines

  • Fall Application deadline: July 15
  • Early Action deadline: November 15, January 15
  • Spring Application deadline: December 15


  • A completed application form, including biographical essay.
  • Pastoral Reference
  • Academic Reference
  • Official College Transcripts
  • Official High School Transcripts. The High School Transcript requirement can be waived for a student who has completed 30 semester or 45 quarter college credits.
  • Official SAT or ACT score. The SAT/ACT requirement can be waived for a student who has completed 20 semester or 30 quarter college credits. However, we recommend that students submit a score if possible because it may assist in financial aid purposes.

You can apply online for admission to Northwest University by visiting our web site at, or you can request that an application be mailed to you by calling our admissions office at 1.800.669.3781.

Financial Aid Deadlines

Please complete and submit the Northwest University Application for Financial Aid (included in the Application for Admission) before the following dates:

  • Fall priority deadline: February 15
  • Spring priority deadline: November 1
  • Talent Scholarship: February 15 (fall semester) November 15 (spring semester)

Students must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit it to the federal processor (not directly to Northwest University). Please allow at least 2 – 3 weeks for your application to be processed and the results sent to Northwest University.

Types of Aid Available

  • Academic scholarships
  • Talent scholarships (music, drama, short sermon)
  • Athletic scholarships
  • Tuition Credits

For more information about financial aid, please visit

Transferring Credit to Northwest University

Credit transfer is the process of receiving advanced standing toward a degree program at Northwest University based upon college/university work completed elsewhere. Students are eligible to transfer credits to Northwest in accordance with the regulations contained in this Guide. Additional credit transfer information can be found in Northwest University’s catalog at

To receive an unofficial review of your credits toward a degree at Northwest University, e-mail your unofficial transcript to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Please include with your transcript your name, address, city, state, zip code, year of high school graduation, and major of interest at Northwest University.

You can make an appointment to visit our campus and meet with an admissions counselor by calling Admissions at 1.800.669.3781.

The Credit-Transfer Process

Prospective students are required to submit official transcripts to the Admissions Office as part of the application process. When approval is granted to the student’s Application for Admission, his/her transcripts are sent to the Transcript Analyst in the Registrar’s Office where an official evaluation of all college and university coursework is completed and a Transcript Review Report is issued. This report becomes a part of the student’s permanent academic record at Northwest University. The initial transcript review is produced based on the major indicated in the student’s Application for Admission.

Transcript Guidelines

A transcript is official if it bears the authorizing signature and official seal of the issuing institution. Transcripts must be sent directly to the Northwest University Office of Admissions by the issuing institution or hand-delivered in a sealed envelope to Admissions by the student. If the envelope is opened, the transcript is no longer official.

For non-enrolled students, the Office of Admissions will keep any transcripts or other credentials it receives for one calendar year.

Notification of Awarded Transfer Credit

Prospective students receive the results of their transcript reviews by e-mail to the address reported in the Application for Admission. If the student prefers, a hard copy can be sent to his/her mailing address. If the student is attending another college or university at the time of application for admission, a second transcript must be sent to Northwest upon completion of the classes/degree.

Quarter-Semester Credit Conversion

All credits accepted by Northwest University are transposed into and reported in semester credit hours. One quarter credit is two-thirds of a semester credit. Semester credits are calculated by dividing the total number of quarter credits by 1.5.

Class Standing

The number of accepted credits applicable to the student’s academic program determines class standing. The breakdown is as follows:

Class Standing Semester Credits
Freshman 0 – 29.9
Sophomore 30 – 59.9
Junior 60 – 89.9
Senior 90+

Institutional Accreditation

Courses are accepted from institutions that are accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations in the United States (e.g., Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, etc.) and/or the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), formerly the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges (AABC).

Classes from institutions not accredited by a regional accrediting association or by the ABHE are considered on an individual basis depending on the institution’s general reputation, known academic strengths, academic format, academic qualifications of the instructors, and on the individual performance of the transferring student. The student is asked to validate transfer credit from such sources by completing two full-time semesters or 30 semester credits at Northwest University with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C average) or better. A maximum of 30 semester credits may be accepted from non-regionally/non-ABHE-accredited sources.


Courses must be graded a C- or better to transfer. Courses graded as Pass and Satisfactory need to be determined to have been at a C- level or higher in order for them to transfer. Some academic departments require higher grades than a C- to transfer.

College-Level Coursework

Courses must be considered by the original institution to be college-level. Older transcripts may contain courses in disciplines now considered college preparatory or remedial. These courses are not eligible for transfer.

Subject Matter Equivalency

Courses considered for transfer must possess content that comes reasonably close to the content of courses offered at Northwest University. Only courses satisfying a specific degree requirement are accepted. Classes that are technical in nature or that do not fall under the umbrella of subject matter taught by Northwest University faculty may be accepted on a course-by-course basis if they are determined to be college-level. If acceptable, they are limited to a maximum of 15 semester credits.

Alternative Means of Earning Credit

Information about other alternative ways to earn college credit, such as CLEP, D.S.S.T., military training, and Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), can be found in the Credit Transfer Guide.

Transfer Limitations

  • Physical Education Activity courses are limited to four semester credits.
  • Ensemble Music is limited to eight semester credits or associate’s degrees and twelve semester credits for bachelor’s degrees.
  • PLA, CLEP, D.S.S.T., IB, AP, Military Credit, and Departmental Exam credit are limited to 30 semester hours cumulatively from all eight sources.
  • The following Residency Requirements must be completed at Northwest University:
    • 30 semester credits
    • one-third of the major requirements
    • the final semester of coursework
    • one three-credit Bible or theology course
  • All credits earned through correspondence must be completed prior to the semester preceding graduation. Students should take no more than two correspondence courses concurrently.
  • Courses from two-year colleges are limited to 60 semester credits.

Running Start/College Credit Earned in High School

Northwest University accepts Running Start and college credits earned in high school provided that the courses appear on an accredited college/university transcript as college-level work with grades of C- or better.

Students must submit official college/university transcripts for this type of work regardless of whether the courses appear on a high school transcript.

Transferring from Foreign Institutions

Academic course work from foreign institutions is also considered. An official transcript is required, or a certified copy if only one original is available to the student. The amount of credit acceptable in transfer is determined by the academic caliber of the institution. Many foreign universities use a different system for assessing learning than is practiced in the United States. In such cases, the student’s performance in courses must be comparable to C- level work in the American system. Universities using different calendar systems than a standard American quarter or semester system have their clock hours converted to semester hours based on the duration of class time at the foreign institution.

A transcript in a foreign language must be translated into English and be accompanied by the original transcript in the native language. If a translation is needed, please inquire at the issuing institution or consult a translation service, such as University Language Services. In some cases, Northwest may require a professional course by course evaluation from an agency specializing in the evaluation of international credentials. A list of agencies can be found at

Transferring with a Bachelor’s Degree

Transfer students seeking to earn a second bachelor’s degree at Northwest University have special consideration given to their transfer credit. Each case is examined on an individual basis to determine whether the previous program’s general education is sufficiently equivalent to Northwest University’s to warrant automatic exemption from General Education Requirements. If it is determined to be adequate, the baccalaureate degree is accepted as a transfer A.A. with regards to General Education and General Electives.

Transferring into an Education Major: Certification-Only Status

Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution and wish to pursue Washington State teacher certification at Northwest may be eligible to be admitted as Certification-Only students. Those students interested in this special status should contact the School of Education at Northwest University at 425.889.5299 for a transcript review and additional eligibility requirements.

Northwest also offers a Masters in Teaching program that provides teacher certification. This may be the best option for those who qualify. Contact the School of Education for more details.

Appeal Process

Students have the right to appeal decisions made by the Registrar’s Office with regard to their transfer credit to the Provost. It is recommended that the student direct questions and concerns to the Registrar’s Office for guidance as to how to best present his/her request for reconsideration.

Direct Transfer Degrees

There are 30 community colleges in Washington with direct transfer degrees that meet the ICRC Guidelines. The names of the colleges and their direct transfer degrees are listed below:

AA: Associates of Arts
AA&S: Associates Arts of Sciences
AS: Associates of Science

Bellevue College AA and AS
Big Bend CC AA&S
Cascadia CC Associate in Integrated Studies
Centralia College AA, Associate in Liberal Arts
Clark College AA
Columbia Basin College AA&S
Edmonds CC AA&S, Option I
Everett CC AA&S, Option II
Grays Harbor C AA
Green River CC AA
Highline CC AA, Option A
Lower Columbia C AA&S, Plan B
North Seattle CC AA, Associate of Science
Northwest Indian College AA&S
Olympic C AA&S, Option A
Peninsula C AA, AA – Honors
Pierce C, Ft. Steilacoom AA
Pierce C., Puyallup AA
Seattle Central CC AA, Associate of Science
Shoreline CC AA&S, Option A
Skagit Valley C AA, Univ. and College Transfer
South Puget Sound CC AA
South Seattle CC AA, Associate of Science
Spokane CC AA
Spokane Falls CC AA
Tacoma CC AA&S, Option A
Walla Walla CC AA
Wenatchee Valley C AA&S
Whatcom CC AA&S
Yakima Valley C AA

We also accept the Associates of Arts, Oregon Transfer Degree from the community colleges in Oregon.

It is important to note in here that some majors have program specific General education requirements that are not satisfied by the transfer AA.

Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations Equivalency Table

Northwest University accepts AP subjects with exam scores of three or higher and grants credit based upon program need (See the Standardized Exam Equivalency Table at right).

Students must submit an official exam report from AP or have the exam score results posted on the official high school transcript.

Please note that the term grades for the high school courses are not sufficient means for granting transfer credit: an official record of the exam scores is required.

For more information about AP Examinations, including specifics about each subject test, please visit the AP web site at


ENGL 1013 Expository Writing

English, Language, and Composition (3 cr)
If English Lang. and English Lit. exams are taken, then credit is given for ENGL 1013 Expository Writing and 3 credits of Literature.

Fine Arts

Art History (3 cr)
Art, Studio: 2D (3 cr)
Art, Studio: 3D (3 cr)

Foreign Language

Latin, Literature (3 cr)

Modern Foreign Language

French, Language (5 cr)
If a score of 4 or 5 is earned, student receives 5 additional credits for a total of 10 credits for Elementary French I & II (LANG 1055 & 1065).

French, Literature (3 cr)
German, Language (5 cr)
If a score of 4 or 5 is earned, student receives 5 additional credits for a total of 10 credits for Modern Foreign Language.

Spanish, Language (5 cr)
If a score of 4 or 5 is earned, student receives 5 additional credits for a total of 10 credits for Elementary Spanish I & II (LANG 1015 & 1025).

Spanish, Literature (3 cr)
Italian, Language & Culture (3 cr)
Chinese, Language & Culture (3 cr)


MATH 1213 Pre-Calculus OR MATH 1203 Pre-Calculus and MATH 1243 Calculus I

Mathematics, Calculus AB (6 cr)
Mathematics, Calculus BC (6 cr)
If a score of 4 or 5 is earned, student receives 5 additional credits for a total of 11 credits for Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II (MATH 2245).

MATH 2003 Intro. to Stats.

Statistics (3 cr)


Laboratory Science

Physics B (4 cr)
Physics C, Electricity & Magnetism (4 cr)
Physics C, Mechanical (4 cr)

SCIE 1103/1 Principles of Bio.

Biology (4 cr)

SCIE 1203/1 College Chem. I

Chemistry (4 cr)

SCIE 2403/1 Environ. Science

Environmental Science (4 cr)

Social Science


History, European (3 cr)
History, US (3 cr)

BUSM 2303 Microeconomics

Microeconomics (3 cr)

BUSM 2353 Macroeconomics

Macroeconomics (3 cr)