College of Ministry
Must be enrolled full-time at Northwest University, demonstrate outstanding potential in a chosen field, have a G.P.A. of 2.5, have high character standards and emotional stability expressed through performance, testimony, and prayer, be active in scholastic activities and extra-curricular church and/or missions activities, and demonstrate a Christian lifestyle showing constructive leadership in a Christian college environment. Upper-classmen are preferred, but may also be available for freshmen or transfers.
A. E.’s three children (Lois, Philip, Eunice) established this memorial scholarship for any student whom God has called to ministry. It is the prayer of us, his children, that this scholarship will help others to build on the foundation he, and others, have laid to lead souls to Christ and to “press toward the mark of the high calling of Jesus Christ.”
A. E. (Anders Ephraim) Hokanson was born to Swedish immigrant parents in 1906 in Eaton, Colorado (just north of Greeley) where they had a large farm. He was the fifth of seven children who lived to adulthood. His parents’ families had left Sweden for both economic and religious reasons. They had been members of the Swedish Free Church, but this was not the state church of Sweden. It refused to recognize those not of their faith. A. E.’s parents came into Pentecost before 1914 during the revivals that swept the U. S. and became members of the Assemblies of God fellowship in the Greeley area.
As a young adult, A. E. (usually called Ephraim), his brother, and his brother-in-law did evangelistic ministries in the Rocky Mountain District, including Wyoming, Nebraska, and Kansas. They helped establish many churches in Wyoming that are still active today. About 1930, Ephraim met Marguerite Jacobson at a camp meeting in Delta, Colorado. They corresponded for the next nine years and were married in October 1939. (Marguerite was also a minister who became ordained in 1945 and worked along side A. E. the rest of their lives.) In Colorado they started and nurtured churches in Cedaredge, Calhan, and Julesburg. In Julesburg, A. E. actually constructed the church building using lumber he got by tearing down old barns in the area. (This church building is still used by a Pentecostal group in Julesburg and looks much the same as when it was built.)
In 1951, they pastored in Dragerton, Utah, before relocating to the Northwest District. Pastorates in Washington State included Buckley, Okanogan, Brewster, and Bainbridge Island (where A. E. constructed the top part of the sanctuary). To supplement income both while pastoring and between churches, A. E. worked as a journeyman electrician, school bus driver, and raspberry/strawberry/apple picker.
His ministry was more than fifty years long and included evangelistic outreaches, church planting, and reconciliation. He played guitar and violin, and music was an important part of his ministry. He was also an excellent Bible study leader who, although he had not received formal Bible education, had a wealth of information that blessed his students because he was a true “student of the Word.”