Assistant Director, Conference and Event Services
Conference and Event Services
The Assistant Director of Conference Services is responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating all services, facilities use, and arrangements for scheduled conferences, meetings, and seminars for external and internal special fundraising events and all summer group bookings. This position provides front-line customer service to clients; collaborates and coordinates with the client and other members of the management team to provide the services required for conferences, camps, events and meetings, including lodging, event space, audio-visual equipment, catering, and activities. Responsibilities include planning, organizing, managing and executing all aspects of event management for all external and summer groups. This includes the management of logistical details for international student conferences in partnership with the International Student Services department. This position supports the Director of Conference and Event Services with the planning and coordinating of special fundraising events with the focus of generating revenue for the University by working with volunteers and committees to coordinate event logistics such as registration, attendance, program elements, event sponsorship and procurement. This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Conference and Event Services.
1. Conference Services Functions
- Responsible to the Director of Conference Services to market the Northwest University Kirkland campus to sell facilities, catering, housing to external event and summer conference clients.
- Assists in marketing and selling facilities and works directly with clients.
- Responds promptly and professionally, either in person, by phone or email, throughout the event planning and booking process.
- Negotiates contracts with clients, assessing their requirements and ensuring they are satisfied with services delivered.
- Partners with all departments affected by operations of Conference Services including the Housing Director, National Management Services Site Director, Dining Services Director, Campus Security, Media Services, International Student Services department, and the Athletics department to maintain proper planning.
- Coordinates event details including the room set-up and works with the Director of Dining Services to coordinate catering based on client’s preferences.
- Communicates pricing and facility fees to clients professionally and accurately.
- Coordinates necessary communication between Northwest University staff and departments.
- Provide necessary management for conferences and maintain flexibility to respond personally on-site when necessary.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable with all university facilities, and help develop and maintain all policies and procedures associated with events and conferences on campus.
- Confirms the strategy and operations for all client and event details.
- Monitors the insurance, rules and guidelines, contracts, and payments for all clients and summer groups.
- Works closely with the International Student Services department to manage the logistical details for International Student Camps including calendar scheduling, lodging, food services, and facility bookings.
- Manages the summer dormitory hand-off from the Northwest University Housing department to Conference Services. For example: ensures proper summer student assignments and summer RA assignments and contact information, the current dormitory availability for summer use, accurate dormitory door codes, confirms any updates or changes in dorm policies, and receives proper training on the housing scheduling software if necessary.
2. Special Event Functions
- Coordinates the event planning and details for the annual fundraising events including: The President’s Banquet, The Hall of Fame Benefit, and The Scholarship Reception.
- Works in close collaboration with key departments such as the President’s Office, Development, Athletics, and Marketing to effectively plan and communicate event plans.
- Creates the details for special event promotion including event invitations, advertisements, social media, signage and other collateral materials.
- Facilitates the hotel arrangements and catering contracts.
3. Assists in departmental strategic planning.
4. Report conference and special event details to the Director of Conference and Event Services.
5. Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university.
- A minimum of two years of event planning experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer service and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to simultaneously organize and direct several events concurrently.
- Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Microsoft Outlook.
- Strong project management skills.
- Experience with event management and scheduling software(s) preferred.
- Demonstrate commitment to maintaining a safe work environment free of harassment, violence, and unlawful discrimination.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues.
- Develops and adheres to a detailed project timeline.
- Ability to work long hours, evenings, and weekends.
Recognize, understand, and agree to live by the moral and ethical standards of Northwest University as outlined in the Assemblies of God Statement of Faith, the Northwest University Community Affirmation statement, and the Northwest University Statement of Principles.
Please submit your resume, a letter of interest describing your qualifications, and a completed application form to the Human Resources office. Applications are available online (www.northwestu.edu/jobs), or in the Human Resources Office of Northwest University.
You may submit your package by mail, scan and email, or fax.
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98083-0579
Fax: (425) 739-0695
Inquiries regarding staff positions may be made to:
Human Resources Office
11220 NE 53rd Street, Kirkland, WA 98033
Northwest University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability in admissions and access to, employment, or treatment in its programs or activities. Northwest University is an "At Will" employer.
« Back to Jobs at Northwest