Turn Your Love For Music Into A Career
Who says you have to live in Los Angeles or Nashville to pursue a career in music? Northwest University offers the only four-year, accredited recording arts program in the Pacific Northwest. Our contemporary Music Industry major will help you break into this competitive field through hands-on training using state-of-the-art studio equipment and facilities. It's one of the reasons why our students have 100% job placement upon graduation.
Why Contemporary Music Industry at NU?
- Choose from three areas of concentration: the Producer Track, the Recording Arts Track, or the Performance Track.
- Attend small classes where you receive personal attention from award-winning instructors who are industry veterans.
- Study the fundamentals of analog and digital audio recording systems while exploring the workings of the music industry, but also learn to understand and perform music in an exciting, hands-on environment.
- Learn your craft using top-tier, industry-rated recording equipment and facilities.
- Put your learning into action through local and national internships that offer real-world experience in employment and ministry contexts.
- Take advantage of NU's close proximity to Seattle, which is one of the top six music scenes in the U.S.
- Benefit from the program's 100% job placement record since launching in 2010.
- EMI Music Publishing, Nashville
- Tooth & Nail Records, Seattle
- Mars Hill Music, Seattle
- EastWest Studios, Los Angeles
Common Career Paths
A degree from our Music Industry program can help you launch your career immediately after graduation. Some of the fields that a degree in the contemporary music industry can open up for you include:
- Recording Engineering
- Live, Stage, and Studio Performance
- Church Music
- TV & Radio
- Movie Soundtracks
- Artist Management
- Music Copyrighting
Word from the Music Department
Director, Recording Arts Technology Program
Chief Engineer of Creatio Studios
"Who you learn your life's craft from is every bit as important as where you learn it. Simply studying in a cool environment isn't enough when it's time to graduate and begin your career. At Creatio, you will learn from award-winning professionals—people who know the music industry, who live and work in it every day, and who continue to make contributions to it in their current careers. We'll connect you with great opportunities and help your dream to become a reality."
A complete list of courses can be found in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog.