- Do I need any college credits or pre-requisites to enter the program?
No prior college credit is required, however, a high school diploma or equivalent is required for all certificate or degree programs at Northwest University.
- Can I receive credit for life experience?
Yes! Northwest University uses PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) to award college-level credit for learning in non-academic settings. Prior learning can include on-the-job training, college-level exams, or documentation of college-level competency in an academic field.
- How long will it take to be accepted?
Normally 1–2 business days after all documents are submitted. Submit items as you complete them preferably via scan/email or fax if possible.
- How much homework will there be?
Everyone is different and it depends on the class, but generally 15–17 hours a week.
- Do I need a laptop?
No, but access to a computer is important. NU has a computer lab, and library computers are also available for your use.
- How do I apply?
Application instructions can be found at http://www.northwestu.edu/adult-professional/apply.
- How many will be in my class?
Typically, no more than 25 students.
- Who are my classmates?
Adult working professionals.
- When are my classes?
One week night and an occasional Saturday.
- How long will it take to finish?
That depends on your program, your pace, and what credits you already have.
- What types of financial aid are there?
Three types: federal and state grants, federal loans, and work study.
- How do I apply for financial aid?
You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Does attending college one class at a time qualify for financial aid?
- Are payment plans available?
Yes. Northwest offers several options.
- Will my employer pay for college?
Many employers will contribute. Inquire at your company's HR department.