Learn the Language of Music
Music has a language all its own, and when you learn it, you have the ability to communicate in a way that speaks to the soul. Northwest University's music program can help you read, write, and express yourself in that language. This general music degree lets you explore a wide range of career paths, and you'll study everything from composing and arranging music to the art of performance. Whether you join a jazz ensemble, try out our state-of-the-art recording studios, or land an internship with a local record label, NU will open doors to a career in Seattle's rich musical landscape and beyond.
Why study Music at NU?
- Attend small classes where you receive personal attention from instructors who have both high academic qualifications and years of music industry experience.
- Learn to understand and perform music in an exciting, hands-on environment that includes access to top-tier, industry-rated recording equipment and facilities.
- Join a variety of on-campus ensembles, which span genres like jazz, classical, and contemporary Christian music.
- Take advantage of NU's close proximity to Seattle, which is one of the top six music scenes in the U.S.
Where Have Students Interned?
- Tooth and Nail Records in Seattle, Wash.
- University Presbyterian Church in Seattle, Wash.
- Snohomish High School in Snohomish, Wash.
Common Career Paths
- Technical director
- Sound designer
- Entertainment manager
- Music minister in a church setting
- Public/private music teacher
Word from the Music Department
Associate Professor of Music
"NU's music program offers a range of degree opportunities. From music education, to music ministry, to music industry or music business, our program is one of the most unique music programs in higher education. Whether you want to study the classics, jazz, or contemporary music, NU offers programs and ensembles that span a wide range of genres. Students can also major in recording technology utilizing a state-of-the-art studio and Grammy-award-winning professors. Perhaps most importantly, music is taught from a Christian worldview because God, the ultimate creator/artist, has created us in His image."
Course ListingsView Required Courses
Ready to get started? Begin the admission process now by completing our online application form. Or fill out the Request Info form, and a member of our Admissions team will contact you soon.