Bachelor of Music in Music Education
When you teach a student something new, seeing their eyes light up, watching them get excited about their progress — that's what makes being an educator so rewarding. But when you teach music, add to that satisfaction the fact that you're introducing students to something that can provide a lifetime of enjoyment and enrichment. Whether you want to guide young children into the world of music or help high-school students refine their performance skills, Northwest's music education program can prepare you to be an effective teacher in a public or private school setting.
Why study Music Education at NU?
- Choose from endorsements in choral music, instrumental music, and/or general music.
- Attend small classes where you receive personal attention from instructors who have both high academic qualifications and years of musical experience.
- Learn to understand and teach music theory and performance in an exciting, hands-on environment that includes access to top-tier, industry-rated recording equipment and facilities.
- Join a variety of on-campus ensembles, which span genres like jazz, classical, and contemporary Christian music.
- Earn your Bachelor of Music degree plus your Washington State Certification to teach K-12 students.
Where Have Students Interned?
- Carl Sandburg Elementary School in Kirkland, Wash.
- Somerset Elementary School in Bellevue, Wash.
- Odle Middle School in Bellevue, Wash.
- Snohomish High School in Snohomish, Wash.
Common Career Paths
- Public school music teacher (K-12)
- Private school music teacher (K-12)
Word from the Music Department
Associate Professor of Music
"Northwest University's music education program boasts a very high success rate of students getting employment right after graduation. Built on a solid biblical and liberal arts core, it also guides the student through all the state requirements for musical endorsement, as well as the professional requirements required by the State of Washington. Prospective students who are looking for a faith-based degree that certifies them to teach in public or private school settings don't need to look any further."
Course ListingsView Required Courses
Ready to get started? Begin the admission process now by completing our online application form. Or fill out the Request Info form, and a member of our Admissions team will contact you soon.