Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education
Teachers have the ability to change lives on a daily basis—a gift that comes with great responsibility as well as great reward. If you want to shape young lives and share your love of learning, Northwest University’s College of Education can help you reach your goals. Offering a strong academic foundation and real-world classroom experience, the Elementary Education program will prepare you to teach students in kindergarten through 8th grade in a public or private school setting.
Top-Rated Teacher Preparation Program
Northwest University is one of five schools in Washington state to receive the highest ratings by the National Council on Teacher Quality.
Why Elementary Education at NU?
- All of our Elementary Education candidates earn two teaching endorsements. Along with your Elementary Education certificate, you will also choose from four complementary endorsements: Mid-level Humanities, Mid-level Mathematics, Mid-level Science, or English Language Learners. This dual endorsement allows more flexibility in the job market and makes our candidates more hirable.
- Benefit from small class sizes, which allow for real connections with professors and other students and a personalized learning experience.
- Learn foundational teaching concepts in basic subject areas in the humanities, mathematics, and sciences, but also receive advanced training in learning theory, instructional method, and assessment.
- Gain practical teaching experience through NU’s partnerships with local public and private schools.
- Earn your Washington State teaching certification from a reputable, state-accredited program.
Practicality is the best word to describe how the professors at Northwest prepare you for a career in teaching. They take what you need to know, and have you practice it again and again! This focus on the essentials is invaluable in the education field.
- Greater Seattle area public school districts:
Seattle, Bellevue, Lake Washington, Northshore, Shoreline, etc.
- Private schools:
Bellevue Christian, Cedar Park Christian, Bear Creek, etc.
Common Career Paths
A degree from NU can help you launch your career immediately after graduation. Some of the career fields that a degree in Elementary Education can open up for you include:
- Teaching in public or private schools in Washington State
- Teaching elsewhere in the United States
- Traveling abroad as an English language or elementary teacher
- Graduate work, leading to a career as a curriculum specialist
- Teaching- or curriculum-related nonprofit work