Online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Fall 2023 application for the CMHC program is now open. Start your application today!
The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Degree Online is a three-year post-bachelor’s online program designed to meet state licensure requirements for professional clinical mental health counselors in Washington state.
Our online mental health counseling degree combines academic curriculum, three required on-campus residency experiences, and clinical training experiences. It is a robust academic experience that teaches you how to engage your clientele from a holistic approach: biologically, psychologically, spiritually, and culturally.
Instructors seek to equip students to serve individuals from different backgrounds with widely different needs. The program has a unique multicultural focus with an emphasis on social justice. Additionally, the program places a strong emphasis on integrating the curriculum with Christian worldview.
Program Quick Facts
- Next start: August 29, 2023
- 60 credits
- $677 per credit
- $13,540 average annual tuition costs (2022–23)
- Application deadlines: Jan. 31, and April 1
- 36 months
- Flexible, asynchronous program format
- Fully accredited university
Licensable Degree for the State of Washington
Our graduate counseling program meets the requirements for licensure in Washington State. Graduate knowing that you can become a fully licensed counselor. Licensure information for other states is also available.
January 31st Priority Application Deadline
April 1st Main Application Deadline
Not all online programs are accredited—something you never have to worry about at NU.
80+ years of experience and knowledge went into creating our online courses.
Every course includes a component that helps you relate the subject to your faith.
Faculty Who Care
Our instructors are experts who love students and bring out their very best.
Hear Directly From Students
A Word from the Program Director
I think the most rewarding part of our mental health degree program is the residency experience. This opportunity allows students to gain the hands-on experience necessary and to know how to apply the skills needed to do the work of counseling. It also allows students and faculty to become more deeply acquainted and for students to learn from each other.
Robert Campbell, Psy.D.
Assistant Professor and CMHC Program Director, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Why Choose an Online Master Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Northwest University?
- Obtain a degree from a university accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Take a step toward practicing as a licensed counseling professional.
- Have both the flexibility of an online program and the support of a blended program—one that has periodic face-to-face interaction with faculty and fellow students.
- Incorporate your faith experience with academic learning and applied skills.
- Gain a deeper understanding of cultural context, enabling yourself to serve a broad range of clientele.
- Gain the opportunity to shift your career into the counseling field from other disciplines.