Bachelor of Arts in Audio Production
Program Currently Under Development
Make Our Studio Your Home
Do you know that there is more opportunity in the audio production market than ever before? Whether it’s engineering video game scores, producing tracks for rappers, or doing sound design for a film, the opportunities are nearly endless. Our new bachelor’s degree in Audio Production is based on our highly successful Contemporary Music Industry program, where we’ve trained hundreds of audio producers and engineers for positions in the live sound and music industry production. This new program focuses on all elements of audio recording and engineering, including sound editing and mixing, sound design, production audio, live audio, dialogue editing, sound mixing, and more.
Why Audio Production at Northwest University?
Our Audio Production degree is the only four-year accredited program in the Pacific Northwest to offer in-depth training in the recording arts. You’ll learn from music industry veterans who know firsthand what it takes to succeed, and you’ll record in studios that are the envy of other programs. In fact, our students will use the same equipment and software that they will find in professional studios, world-class concert venues, and the largest churches. If your goal is to become a leader in the arts and entertainment industry—and you want to learn this in a faith-based environment among students and teachers who share your love of Jesus—this is the program for you.
A Message from the Creative Director
The Audio Production major will provide the training and experience students need to prepare them for a fascinating career in the world of audio production or engineering. They will start by learning the “nuts and bolts” of acoustic theory and then work in our state-of-the-art studios to produce and mix their own tracks. Live sound opportunities both on and off campus will be provided to educate students in professional equipment selection, acoustic setup, and technical direction. Graduates of our audio programs have found jobs at recording studios, stage venues, and churches around the country – and their training has impressed new employers as being one of the few programs where their new employees are ready to be productive from the first day. I’m personally passionate about this program because of my love for this industry and the opportunity to train and mentor students who share my enjoyment of producing great audio experiences.
When you graduate with your BA in Audio Production, you will be able to:
- Apply the iterative approach of “design thinking” methods to develop solutions to complex problems.
- Apply recording technology as producers of both live and studio recording events.
- Evaluate the acoustical quality of both outdoor and indoor venues
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively in groups to produce finished works of music, voice, and other types of recordings
- Produce live audio events for indoor and outdoor venues with professional quality sound
- Produce finished recorded audio works with professional quality sound
- Articulate how their faith informs their work in the field of Audio Production and Engineering
Common Career Paths
Graduates with an Audio Production degree have a number of different career opportunities to choose from. With newfound technical and engineering talent as well as artistic and design skills, there are many options to choose from. Specific employment opportunities for graduates with this degree include:
- Audio Engineer
- Audio Producer
- Broadcast Engineer
- Sound Designer
- Audio Editor
- Audio Programmer
We're in Good Company
What types of courses will I take?
- AVPE 2013 Survey of Audio Technology
- AVPE 2213 Recording Engineering
- AVPE 2223 Recording Engineering
- AVPE 2523 Digital Audio Workstations
- AVPE 3233 Recording Engineering
- AVPE 2533 Digital Audio Workstations
- AVPE 3103 Live Sound
- AVPE 3413 Sound Design
- AVPE 3901 Professional Music Industry Tour
- AVPE 3xx3 Audio Integration
- AVPE 4xx3 Sound Design for Games
- AVPE 4933 Live Sound Practicum
- AVPE 4943 Audio Production Internship
- AVPE 4593 Advanced Audio Production/Capstone
Talk to one of our enrollment counselors to get the answers you need.
Call 1-800-669-3781 or find your counselor online.