Dr. Stephanie Kerr
- Ph.D. University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, 2008
- M.S. Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 1989
- B.A. Washington State University, Pullman, WA, 1985
Stephanie was born and raised in Puyallup Washington and graduated a Puyallup Viking. She received her B.S. degree in Health & Physical Education and her M.S. in Exercise Science from Washington State University, traveling to Hungary to study the Hungarian methods of training female weightlifters. She received her PhD in Education/Sports Pedagogy from the University of Idaho focusing on physical identity development of adolescent girls and boys in physical education weight training.
Stephanie enjoys international coaching education and taught exercise physiology and kinetic anatomy online for the North Atlantic Training Institute in Iceland. Stephanie coached strength and conditioning at Division I with Washington State University, University of Nebraska and University of Washington with football and the Olympic sports.
Stephanie is a national champion in Olympic-Style weightlifting, a Women’s Team member for the America’s Cup, served as the NSCA National Women’s Committee Chair, US Weightlifting Women’s Chair and Liaison to the USOC Task Force for Women and Minorities, and was a recipient of the NSCA scholarship award.
Stephanie has been a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist since 1988, a Registered Strength and Conditioning Coach (RSCC) by the NSCA, certified by the ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)– CEP (certified exercise physiologist), and ACSM – Wellcoach certified. Stephanie lives in Olympia Washington with her two sons, Liam and Kellen, and her husband Andrew.
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-CEP)
- Certified ACSM Wellbeing Coach
- NSCA Registered Strength and Conditioning Coach (RSCC)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA-CSCS)
Professional Research Experience
- Kerr, S.A., Wolfram, J. & Donahue, D. (2013). Achieving Team Based Patient Centered Diabetes Care Coordination.
- Kerr, S.A., Kothari, H. & Donahue, D. (2013). Surveillance and Management of Hypertension in Hospital Personnel during Work Hours.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2012). Adolescent Girls’ Experiences in Physical Education Weight Training.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2012). Adolescent Girls’ Experiences in Two Secondary School Weight Training Environments.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2012). The Experiences of Adolescent Girls Engaged in Single-Sex and Traditional Coeducation Weight Training: Exploring Single-Sex and Critical Inquiry Design.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2008). Ways in Which Discourse and Lived Experience Influences Girls’ Identities in Physical Education Weight Training.
- Kerr, S.A., (2012 August). Two Different Weight Training Environments: What the Girls and Boys Said About Each Other and Themselves. Presented at the Regional NSCA Conference, Cheney, WA.
- Kerr, S.A., (2011, Apr.). Critical Inquiry in Single Sex Weight Training: A Curriculum Model. Presented at the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, & Dance National Convention in San Diego, CA.
- Kerr, S.A., (2010 August). Teaching the Olympic Style Lifts. Presented at the NSCA State Clinic, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2009 April). Ways in Which Discourse and Lived Experience Influences Girls’ Physical Identity in Physical Education Weight Training. Research presented at the American Educational Research Association National Conference in San Diego, CA.
- Kerr, S.A., & Goc Karp, G. (2007 Oct.). Girl’s and Boy’s Exploration of Physical Strength and Power: Discourses in Secondary Physical Education Which Serve to Suppress or Empower. Research presented at the Physical Education Teacher Education National Conference in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Women’s Committee, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Women’s Committee Past National Chair
- Washington State Past Director National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Physical Education Teacher Education National Conference Presenter
- National Strength and Conditioning Association State Clinic Speaker
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Requested National Conference Presenter
- Member Americas Cup Women’s Team
- US Weightlifting Past Olympic Festival and National Champion
- My two sons Liam and Kellen
- Travel to Europe
- Alaskan Malamute named Bear
- Oil painting on canvas