Dr. James Heugel
- Ph.D. University of Washington, 2003
- M.A. Fuller Theological Seminary, 1984
- B.A. Northwest College, 1979
“‘Graunted of the Bysshop Honde’: The Meaning and Uses of the Sacrament of Confirmation From its Inception Through the Middle Ages” (Ph.D. Dissertation)
Before coming to Northwest, I served in full-time pastoral ministry for fifteen years: ten years with the Chi Alpha Campus Ministry at the University of Washington, and five years as senior pastor of Calvary Chapel in Seattle. I taught full-time in the History Department at Northwest for six years before assuming the position of Provost in May 2005. The teaching and mentoring I do now is built on these foundational experiences.
We seem to gravitate toward the helping professions. Cherie, my wife, is a Registered Nurse working in neonatal special care. Our son, Judson, is a pediatrician. Like me, our daughter Callie is drawn toward teaching. She graduated from NU with an education degree, taught ESL in Japan for a year, and now teaches in the public schools.
Backpacking, Cycling, Golf, and Scuba Diving.
- Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity, Mark A Noll
- The Rise of Western Christendom, Peter Brown
- The Body and Society, Peter Brown
- The Medieval Church, Joseph H. Lynch
- The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580, Eamon Duffy
- Reformation Thought: An Introduction, Alister E McGrath
- Luther: Man between God and the Devil, Heiko A. Oberman
- A Life of John Calvin, Alister E. McGrath
- Society and Culture in Early Modern Europe, Natalie Zemon Davis
- Heaven Below: Early Pentecostals and American Culture, Grant Wacker
- Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed, Philip Hallie