Helping to Develop Teachers From Within
The Northwest University Grow-Your-Own (GYO) alternative routes program offers online academics with rich field experience. This program is run in conjunction with our GYO partner school districts and is aimed at paraeducators or those with conditional certifications employed within the partner districts.
The program offers pathways at both the undergraduate (for those without a BA) and graduate (for those with a college degree) levels. Candidates can choose from four dual-endorsement areas: Elementary Education with Special Education, Elementary Education with English Language Learning, Secondary Mathematics with Middle-level Mathematics, or Secondary Biology with Middle-level Science.
Word from the Assistant Dean
We are proudly partnering with districts to cultivate local educators that reflect and appreciate the diversity of the communities they serve. Our GYO alternative pathways are innovative programs that allow those working in education a pathway to certification that is enriching, classroom-based, and manageable! Each of our programs are fully accessible online so you can access our curriculum from anywhere while continuing to work in your current role throughout your program.
The Program Targets
- Under-represented geographic areas to provide for workforce needs (while the program is available to all districts, it specifically targets those that are 30+ miles from the nearest on-ground teacher preparation program)
- High workforce need areas by offering dual endorsements in shortage areas
- Diversifying the teacher workforce by recruiting paraeducators and targeting under-represented populations
- More generally, the creation of multiple-pathway certification options to provide increased teacher supply across the state
Pathways for Undergraduate and Graduate Levels
- For those with little to no college: Online AA degree (Route 1)
- For those with an AA: Online, content-embedded BA degree with certification (Route 1)
- For those with a BA: Online, content-embedded MIT (Master in Teaching) degree with certification (Routes 2, 3, & 4)