Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who studies at Northwest University?

While most of our students come from the Pacific Northwest, many come from all over the United States and from around the world. International students at Northwest represent African, Asian, and European counties.

What does Northwest do to help international students transition to study in the United States?

The International Student Services Office works to make the transition to Northwest as easy as possible. The office can arrange for airport pickup, help with orientation to life in the United States, and facilitate learning about life at Northwest University. The director can help with any immigration or visa related questions.

What will my experience be like?

As a co-educational university, Northwest is a busy and exciting place. At first it is all very busy and often confusing. But, in the process you will make new friends, experience a new culture, and adjust to living in America. After the initial shock of a new place, you will soon find yourself feeling comfortable with your surroundings and ready for your academic study.

What is life at Northwest University like?

The best way to experience this is by browsing through our web site. You can hear chapel recordings, see the calendar, and read our blog.

Can I work to pay for my education?

International students are limited both in where they may work, and how much they may work, by governmental regulations. An F-1 student may work only twenty (20) hours per week, and may work only on campus. Spouses, or family members of the F-1 student may not work. Additional hours of work are permitted during break periods, but extra work hours may or may not be available. Hourly wages for on-campus work will not provide sufficient funds to support education and thus are not permitted to be counted in the financial statement for visa purposes.

Am I required to have health insurance?

Northwest University requires all international students to purchase health insurance through the University insurance provider. The cost for this insurance is reasonable, and the coverage is excellent. The United States has no national health plan and all insurance is private. In addition, health care is very expensive. For these reasons, we require all students to purchase insurance through our provider. This will be billed automatically on your billing statement each semester.

Am I eligible for scholarships?

International students requesting scholarships to study at Northwest University will need to fill out an International Student Scholarship Application form that is available by contacting the Admissions office at Scholarships are available based on a number of different criteria including academic ability, athletic, or musical talent, and financial need. Northwest University does not guarantee scholarship aid for any applicant. Scholarships and the criteria for eligibility are listed in the University catalog. Note: International students are not eligible for US government or State government aid programs.

Where will I live?

Northwest University is a resident campus. Single students under 25 years of age live in the residence halls located on campus. Students 26 years old and older may live in shared student apartments that include bedrooms, a living room, dining room, and kitchen. Married students have access to apartments suitable for couples or families. After a period of residence at Northwest University, mature students may apply to live in the on-campus apartments.

What kind of transportation is available?

The Kirkland area has readily available bus transportation that allows students access to shopping, and other activities. There are food stores and restaurants within walking distance from the campus as well. Students are able to reach most destinations in the area by bus.

If a student desires to have an automobile, she or he will need to either have an international driver’s license or take driver’s training in order to take the Washington State licensing exam. All drivers are required by law to have liability insurance to operate a vehicle in the United States.

Find Out More

 Request Info  How to Apply

Or contact our Admissions Office.