Assistant or Associate Professor of Psychology (0.5 FTE)
|Department||College of Social and Behavioral Sciences|
|Reports To||Matt Nelson, Dean of College of Social Behavioral Sciences|
|Appointment||August 15, 2021|
Northwest University is seeking applications for a half-time, assistant/associate professors in the APA-accredited Doctoral Program in Counseling Psychology (PsyD). These two tenure-track faculty posts consist of teaching an academic load in the PsyD program, participating in PsyD program activities (e.g., advising, mentoring), and engaging in research and/or scholarship. These faculty members will also participate in University life including committee work and other institution activities.
Candidates must possess a meaningful commitment to Jesus Christ, the church, and the Gospel, accompanied by a culturally engaged faith.
Note: This position is contingent on approval by the University’s budgeting process.
- Teach nine semester credits in the PsyD program.
- Participate in PsyD program activities including: instruction, advising, and affairs; policies and procedures; program assessment and refinement; and, faculty professional development.
- Participate in scholarship and/or academic research and produce scholarly presentations and publications.
- Participate in CSBS department and university activities.
- Attend and assist with departmental events including PsyD orientation and graduation celebrations.
- Participate regularly in professional conferences, such as the National Council of Schools and Programs of Professional Psychology (NCSPP), the Council of Counseling Psychology Training Programs (CCPTP), and the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- Earned doctorate in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, or a closely related field from an APA-accredited program.
- Current psychology license in Washington State or license eligible (preferred).
- Successful teaching experience at the university level (preferred).
- Involvement in ongoing research in psychology with a publication record (preferred).
- Commitment to establishing and maintaining positive mentoring relationships with a diverse student body.
- Commitment to establishing and maintaining positive relationships with faculty, staff, and the general constituency of Northwest University.
- A deep, personal commitment to Jesus Christ with an ability to integrate faith and learning.
- Commitment to diversity, multicultural psychology, and social justice, in keeping with the “Psychology, Culture and Social Justice” ethos of the CSBS.
- Evidence of strong clinical, supervision, and/or mentoring skills.
- Successful teaching experience at the university level
- Training and expertise in one of the following areas: biological bases of behavior, cognitive-affective bases of behavior, statistics, research methodology, multicultural counseling
- Involvement in ongoing scholarly and/or research activities
Dependent on education and experience, and based upon the established faculty salary schedule.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae, and if available, a teaching portfolio
- Names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
- A statement of your understanding of the relationship between the integration of Christian faith and your discipline of study
- A brief statement describing your personal faith journey and church involvements
Please email your documents to:
Dean, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Search procedures will be closed, when a sufficient number of qualified applicants have been identified. Applicants are urged to provide sufficient information, so that the application file may be considered complete at the end of the search period.
Northwest University is a Christian coeducational undergraduate and graduate institution, related to the Assemblies of God, offering baccalaureate and master's, and doctoral level education. The sixty-acre campus is located in Kirkland, Washington, just ten miles from downtown Seattle. The campus is an ideal setting for study, recreation, and inspiration and is centrally located and convenient to industry, business, and commercial activities.
We, the people of Northwest University, carry the call of God by continually building a learning community dedicated to spiritual vitality, academic excellence, and empowered engagement with human need.
In addition, all faculty members at Northwest University must subscribe to our Statement of Faith.
Northwest University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (regional). The University is endorsed by the Commission on Christian Higher Education of the Assemblies of God and the Association of Christian Schools International. The University holds membership in the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities.
Northwest University's College of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). The Buntain School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. In addition, the School of Nursing has received approval from the Washington State Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission. The University is also approved by the Board of Education and Superintendent of Public Instruction of the State of Washington to prepare elementary and secondary education teachers and recommend for certification. It is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. Northwest University's doctoral program in counseling psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA).
The University is approved by the Federal and State Governments for student aid programs and for the training of international students. Selected programs of study are approved by a Washington State Approving Agency for enrollment of those eligible for benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, U.S. Code and by Washington State for training in Vocational Rehabilitation. It is listed in the current bulletin, "Accredited Higher Education Institutions," published by the U.S. Office of Education.