|Job ID #||21-003|
|Department||College of Arts and Sciences|
|Reports To||Natural Science and Mathematics Chair|
The Laboratory Supervisor works in support of all members of the science faculty but reports directly to the Natural Science and Mathematics chair. The Supervisor meets regularly with the Chair and works with all science faculty for purposes of planning laboratory experiences, maintaining lab equipment, and working collaboratively in meeting laboratory needs through purchasing and managing the laboratory budget. This position is contracted (11 months, with 5 weeks of vacation taken between June 1 and July 31st), paid over 12 months.
- Support the science faculty by coordinating supplies and equipment purchasing, and by maintaining an accurate record of expenditures. In this activity, the supervisor works with the Science chair in planning expenditures and managing the budget, while coordinating with the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Supervise student workers in cooperation with the laboratory instructors. Supervision may include the set up and breakdown of labs, and instruction in lab safety and management procedures.
- Maintaining lab equipment including regular scheduled maintenance and use, removal and storage, or disposal of laboratory supplies and chemicals.
- Act as a safety reference person for the laboratories. This function includes duties such as:
- Maintaining accurate records of student safety agreements, accidents, or laboratory policy violations.
- Communicating safety concerns to the appropriate personnel as an acting member of the University Safety committee.
- Serving as the building emergency liaison for the HSC lower floor.
- Researching and providing input into the process of writing laboratory safety procedures and policy.
- Performing other job-related duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in science, with MA/MS or higher encouraged.
- Experience in organization and management.
- General awareness of biological and chemical laboratory functions and safety.
- Willingness to be trained in laboratory materials handling and storage requirements (EPA, OSHA, DOE), and record keeping. And obtain current certification in First Aid, Blood-borne pathogens, and CPR.
- Participation in workplace diversity training and pass a Washington State Patrol background check as a condition of employment.
- Commitment to maintaining a safe work environment free of harassment, violence, and unlawful discrimination.
- Ability to communicate effectively, get along well with co-workers, and deal effectively and professionally with colleagues.
- Work is generally performed indoors in a classroom/laboratory setting.
- Job requires occasional work with fumes or airborne particles, toxic chemicals, and bloodborne pathogens.
- Risk of fire or explosion and electric shock.
- May be exposed to loud noise levels
The functions are usually performed while standing, but may involve some amount of time sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting (max. of 60 lbs.), walking, carrying, reaching, stretching, climbing, perform repetitive motions of the hands or wrists and other movements. The abilities of seeing, hearing and speaking are also required.
Recognize, understand, and agree to live by the spiritual, moral, and ethical standards of Northwest University, as outlined in the Employee Manual.
Please submit your resume, a letter of interest describing your qualifications, and a completed application form to the Human Resources office. Applications are available online (www.northwestu.edu/jobs), or in the Human Resources Office of Northwest University.
You may submit your package by mail, scan and email, or fax.
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98083-0579
Fax: (425) 739-0695
Inquiries regarding staff positions may be made to:
Human Resources Office
5520 108th Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033
Northwest University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability in admissions and access to, employment, or treatment in its programs or activities. Northwest University is an "At Will" employer.