|Job ID #||20-025|
The Staff Accountant position is a full-time (1.0 FTE) position that reports to and assists the Controller performing reconciliatory/technical/clerical support services in accounting, verifying, documenting, and reporting on financial transactions for the University.
- Reconciles bank account and various monthly accounts in the General Ledger. Works with other departments to initiate corrections necessary to resolve outstanding items found during reconciliation. Prepares and uploads necessary journal entries.
- Prepares/assures accuracy of monthly, recurring, and correcting journal entries for the University. Documents transactions and attaches support behind entries. Assists Controller for preparing for the fiscal year-end audit.
- Prepare monthly analytical reports for the Controller for tuition, payroll, and other financial statement items as needed.
- Train student workers on account reconciliations and troubleshooting outstanding items.
- Performs daily interface routines to account for donor transactions and post them to the General Ledger. Prepares year end statements for donors.
- Maintains database records related to gift/donor processing by entering and posting charitable donations on a daily basis and generating/mailing gift receipts within 24-48 hours of receiving such gift.
- Works with Assistant Controller to ensure accuracy of data entry; creation of new GL accounts as needed to record gifts, interfaces with accounting to ensure totals balance with University financial system.
- Acknowledges memorial gifts by providing annual reports to family contacts and produces acknowledgments to donors.
- Acknowledges gifts-in-kind, and other special gifts as requested, according to Internal Revenue Service requirements.
- Prepares and sends annual giving statements to all donors.
- Provides related fundraising and activity reports and communications to other NU Departments as requested.
- As directed by the Assistant Controller coordinates annual reports to churches and individuals regarding scholarship and/or campaign giving, planned giving, and student missions.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Administration or Accounting, or equivalent education and experience. Prefer more than 5 years of work experience in the accounting field.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate ability to pay close attention to detail and be extremely accurate.
- Ability to compile and accurately analyze data.
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to support department-wide improvements.
- Self-motivated, energetic, enthusiastic individual demonstrating strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and database programs (i.e. PowerCampus).
- Ability to work independently with a willingness to work as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining a safe work environment free of harassment, violence, and unlawful discrimination.
- Ability to communicate effectively, get along well with co-workers, and deal effectively and professionally with colleagues in a mature interpersonal style.
- Work is generally performed indoors in a typical office setting.
- Position works with strictly confidential information.
- Frequently required to be in front of a computer screen for long periods of time.
The functions are usually performed while sitting, but may involve some amount of time bending, crouching, lifting (max. of 40 lbs.), standing, walking, carrying, reaching, stretching, climbing, perform repetitive motions of the hands or wrists and other movements. The abilities of seeing, hearing and speaking are also required.
Recognize, understand, and agree to live by the spiritual, moral, and ethical standards of Northwest University, as outlined in the Employee Manual.
Please submit your resume, a letter of interest describing your qualifications, and a completed application form to the Human Resources office. Applications are available online (www.northwestu.edu/jobs), or in the Human Resources Office of Northwest University.
You may submit your package by mail, scan and email, or fax.
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 579
Kirkland, WA 98083-0579
Fax: (425) 739-0695
Inquiries regarding staff positions may be made to:
Human Resources Office
5520 108th Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033
Northwest University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability in admissions and access to, employment, or treatment in its programs or activities. Northwest University is an "At Will" employer.