Student Employment FAQ's

How many students does the University hire?

The University employs approximately 130 students currently.

What departments can I work in?

The departments that are typically hiring are Registration, Financial Aid, Campus Ministries, Enrollment/Admissions, Bookstore, Library, Athletics, Alumni, Advancement, The Aerie and the Cafeteria.

How much will I get paid?

The pay for student workers is minimum wage. Social Security taxes are not taken out of your check as long as you are in classes. In the summertime, if you are NOT in classes, Social Security will be taken out, and so the University pays an additional $0.85 per hour to make up the difference.

How many hours can I work?

While in classes you can work up to 20 hours on campus, depending on the department's budget. During summer break, if you are not in classes, then you may work up to 40 hours, depending on the department's budget.

What will I need to have to get hired by the University?

  1. You must have 2 pieces of proper I-9 identification (for a complete list of acceptable documents contact Human Resources). The purpose for this is;
    • 1st to verify your identity. Examples of this are your driver's license, or NU ID card.
    • 2nd to verify that you are a US Citizen or authorized to work in the US. Examples of this are your original social security card, original birth certificate, or your passport.
    • You must have originals. HR will need to inspect the original, and make copies themselves.
  2. You will need a personal check for Direct Deposit. If you do not have checks, please bring a printout from your bank with the bank's transit/routing number and your account number. If you do not have a bank account, you will need to open one as Direct Deposit is required by the University.

How do I Apply for a job?

  1. Check the website for open positions at
  2. You can download the NU Application for Employment on that page as well.
  3. You must submit to HR:
    • Cover letter of interest
    • Completed & signed NU Application for Employment
    • Most current Resume
    • Current class schedule (it is helpful to the hiring supervisors' to know your availability)

When should I turn in my application?

Don't wait to submit your application, turn it in to HR as soon as possible. Supervisors generally begin looking at applications in July & August for Fall employment, and these jobs fill quickly. Most of our student employees, who worked in the previous semester, will return to their same position the following semester, but there may still be several positions open for the supervisors to fill. Keep in mind that Spring and Summer employment opportunities are limited.

Can I still apply if there are no open positions currently for future opportunities?

Yes, if there are no openings listed, you can still apply. HR will forward your application when a job is available.

Where should I turn in my application?

  1. In person at the Barton building; to HR or the Receptionist
  2. Fax (425) 739-0695; or scan & email to
  3. Mail:

    Northwest University, Human Resources
    Student Employment
    P.O. Box 579, Kirkland, WA 98083-0579

What happens after I apply?

  1. HR will forward your application to the hiring supervisor of the position you have indicated, or will forward your application to an opening that matches your skills and experience.
  2. The hiring supervisor reviews the applications, and then contacts the applicant(s) they feel are qualified for an interview.
  3. Once the supervisor has reached a hiring decision they will inform HR of who they would like to employ.
  4. HR will contact you to complete the required hiring paperwork. You must meet with HR before starting work.

What if I am an International Student?

  1. You will need to get permission to work on campus by having Karen Forbes sign your I-20.
  2. Complete and turn in an NU application, then follow the same steps as outlined above.
  3. Once you have been chosen for a job, HR will contact you.
  4. You will need to bring your I-20, Passport and F-1 Visa to HR, and we will make a package for you to take the Social Security Offices in Bellevue.
  5. The Social Security Offices will write a "Letter of Receipt" for you acknowledging that you have applied.
  6. Bring the "Letter of Receipt" to HR and make an appointment to complete the remaining hiring paperwork. You must meet with HR before starting work.
  7. After the paperwork is completed and HR has the "Letter of Receipt", you may begin working.
  8. You will get your Social Security card in the mail in approximately 2 weeks.
  9. You must bring the card to HR so we may copy it. At that point you will be approved to get paid for all hours worked and future hours.

What if I have more questions?

For further questions, contact Human Resources at or by phone: 425.889.5749.