Transfer Guide

We'll help you finish what you started.

You're ready. You’ve spent time completing general education requirements, perhaps at several colleges. You've explored a few avenues and know what you want from your future. Now is the time to transfer to a 4-year university to complete your bachelor's degree – as quickly as possible – so that you can jump start your career. We understand, and we're here to help!

Admissions Counselor

Phone: 1-800-669-3781

Transcript Review

Request a Transcript Review

Complete your degree at NU

  1. Will NU accept my credit?

    In most cases, yes! We want to give you as much credit as possible for your work completed at another institution. And we've structured our general education requirements to accommodate transfer students. For example, although most degrees requires 9 semester credits of Social Science, you may instead choose any combination of two disciplines: Business, Communication, Education, Management, and more. With flexibility you can enjoy more of the classes you want while still completing your degree on time. Some programs have prescriptive requirements, like Education and Nursing, so ask an Admissions Counselor to guide you on the fastest path.

  2. How long will it take to complete my degree?

    NU is transfer friendly, accepting lots of credit! Please contact an Admissions Counselor for an unofficial transcript review. Your unofficial transcript review will approximate the time required to complete your degree at NU, and which classes you need. We will even conduct an unofficial review of your credits before you submit an application! Email for more information.

  3. Do you offer credit for AP, IB, CLEP, Dantes, military training, or prior learning?

    Yes! You may earn credit that is transferrable to Northwest University from a variety of sources. Northwest University offers credit for successful completion of CLEP, AP, IB, and Dantes exams, in addition to military training (provided it is reflected on an official transcript) and prior learning, through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). For detailed information regarding earning credit at Northwest University from these sources, you can consult our Credit Transfer Guide, or contact an Admissions Counselor at

Scholarships for Transfer Students

In addition to qualified State and Federal Financial Aid, Northwest University rewards hard work with generous scholarships for transfer students. You will want to check out our Financial Aid website for a complete list. Here are a few scholarships you may qualify for:

Scholarship Amount (per year)
Transfer Academic Scholarship $4,000 – $10,000
NU Grant Up to half tuition
Music, Athletic, Debate, and other Talent Scholarship Varies

You can always refer to our Net Price Calculator to estimate your qualification for financial aid.

Our Admissions Counselors can also recommend a few alternate sources of aid – email for more information.

Direct Transfer Agreement

Northwest University accepts college and university-approved Associate of Arts (AA) degrees from public community colleges in Washington and Oregon. Students who have completed these Direct Transfer Degrees will receive 60 semester credits and junior academic standing. Transfer courses must be completed with a grade of C- or above. Some majors require higher markings.

Northwest University is committed to rooting our students in sound theological study that will build them both spiritually and academically. Theology and Bible courses are part of NU’s general education curriculum and may not be satisfied by Direct Transfer Degrees. Most majors facilitate completing a bachelor’s degree in two years after receiving your AA. To determine the exact requirements of your program, please contact an Admissions Counselor at

Northwest University has a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) with 30 community colleges in Washington that meet the ICRC Guidelines. The colleges and their Direct Transfer Degrees are listed below:

Bellevue College AA and AS
Big Bend Community College AA&S
Cascadia Community College Associate in Integrated Studies
Centralia College AA, Associate in Liberal Arts
Clark College AA
Columbia Basin College AA&S
Edmonds Community College AA&S, Option I
Everett Community College AA&S, Option II
Grays Harbor College AA
Green River Community College AA
Highline Community College AA, Option A
Lower Columbia College AA&S, Plan B
North Seattle Community College AA, AS
Northwest Indian College AA&S
Olympic College AA&S, Option A
Peninsula College AA, AA – Honors
Pierce College, Ft. Steilacoom AA
Pierce College, Puyallup AA
Seattle Central Community College AA, AS
Shoreline Community College AA&S, Option A
Skagit Valley College AA, Univ. and College Transfer
South Puget Sound Community College AA
South Seattle Community College AA, AS
Spokane Community College AA
Spokane Falls Community College AA
Tacoma Community College AA&S, Option A
Walla Walla Community College AA
Wenatchee Valley College AA&S
Whatcom Community College AA&S
Yakima Valley College AA
Table Key

AA: Associates of Arts
AA&S: Associates Arts of Sciences
AS: Associates of Science

Transfer Course Equivalency Guides

The list below provides a database of courses we previously accepted from other colleges and universities. Select your school to help determine how your previous coursework could transfer to Northwest University.

If your school or course is not currently listed, Northwest University has not yet evaluated that particular course or created a guide for your school. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

How to apply

Did you know that nearly 40% of our student body transferred into NU? You are among friends! If you're ready to apply to NU you will need to submit:

  • Application
  • Official College Transcript(s)
  • Official High School Transcript (Requirement waived with proof of a college degree awarded post-high school.)
  • Official SAT or ACT Score Report (Required if you have completed less than 20 semester or 30 quarter college credits.)

Start your application to Northwest University today!

Apply Now


Fall Semester Spring Semester
August 1 December 15


Contact an Admissions Counselor at or 1-800-669-3781.

Alumni Success

Over 70% of Northwest University's majors incorporate internships and experiential learning, which provides you with incredible opportunity to leverage your network for your professional career. Not only will a degree from NU help you achieve your educational goals, it will help you launch your next steps. Take a look at some of the success stories our alumni. Their words say it best.

Alumni Stories

Abigail Yokers

Practicality is the best word to describe how the professors at Northwest University prepare you for a career in teaching. They take the true facets of what you need to know and make you practice it, again and again! This focus on what is essential for you to know and have at your fingertips is invaluable in the education field.
Abigail Yokers, Educational Director at The Goddard School

Margret Akers

Don't overlook Northwest. The professors here are really invested in your success. They opened doors for me that I could have never opened myself. Choosing this school has made a huge difference. I've done things here that I never imagined I would.
Margaret Akers, Event Program Manager at Amazon

Chuck Steinhilber

Every professor within the department cares about their students. Not only did they push me in my academics, they talked with me, gave guidance, and ideas for where to move on professionally. The fact that they care about their students shows. I don't think I'd be the editor and writer I am today without them.
Chuck Steinhilber, Editor at Expedia

Visit/Contact Us

Visit NU

We offer many opportunities to visit our campus and get a taste of what your life will look like at NU.

Visit NU

Individual Visit

If you would like to meet one-on-one with an Admissions Counselor, we are happy to schedule an individual appointment tailored to your needs. We look forward to meeting you.

Sign up for an Individual Visit


Contact an Admissions Counselor at or 1-800-669-3781.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When does the next term start? Is Northwest University on the semester or quarter system?

    Northwest University utilizes the semester system, so you can apply for either the Fall (August-December) or Spring (January-May) terms. We also offer on-campus and online classes during the summer. Certain programs only start in the Fall semester. Please contact an Admissions Counselor at to find out if this applies to you.

  2. What is the difference between Running Start students and Transfer Students?

    If you have taken college credit after high school graduation then you are considered a Transfer Student. If you completed your college credits before high school graduation then you will apply to NU as a new incoming student with Running Start college credit.

  3. I'm still enrolled in classes. When should I submit my transcripts for my application?

    We recommend completing your application as soon as possible because financial aid is awarded when you are accepted to the University and after completing the FAFSA. Submit your current official college transcripts from all colleges previously attended with your application. Once you finish your term, send a new transcript reflecting your completed courses.

  4. I want to apply to the Nursing program but I have not completed the Bible courses. How do I finish them before the program begins?

    This is very common among transfer students, and Northwest University can recommend a few options for you. Please contact an Admissions Counselor to make a plan for completing the Nursing prerequisites:

  5. My GPA is not very good. Can I still be considered for admission to NU?

    The Northwest University Admissions Committee considers students holistically and decisions are made after reviewing each part of the application. If you are concerned that your grades do not match your academic abilities, consider submitting a supplementary essay describing your academic history and your plan for success at Northwest University. Please provide your essay to your Admissions Counselor.

  6. How do I know what class standing I will have when I transfer my credits to NU?
    Class Standing Semester Credits Quarter Credits
    Freshman 0 – 29.9 0 – 44.9
    Sophomore 30 – 59.9 45 – 89.9
    Junior 60 – 89.9 90 – 134.9
    Senior 90+ 135+

    Note: All credits accepted by Northwest University are converted into and reported in semester credit hours. One quarter credit is equal to two-thirds of a semester credit. Semester credits are calculated by dividing the total number of quarter credits by 1.5.

  7. Who can answer my questions about the GI Bill® and how to access my educational benefits through the military?

    Please contact our VA Coordinator at

Admissions Questions?

Talk to one of our enrollment counselors to get the answers you need.

Call 1-800-669-3781 or find your counselor online.

 Request Info  Visit Campus  How to Apply