Online Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The upcoming application deadline is April 1st for the CMHC program. Start your application today!
The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Degree Online is a three-year post-bachelor’s online program designed to meet state licensure requirements for professional clinical mental health counselors in Washington state.
Our online mental health counseling degree combines academic curriculum, three required on-campus residency experiences, and clinical training experiences. It is a robust academic experience that teaches you how to engage your clientele from a holistic approach: biologically, psychologically, spiritually, and culturally.
Instructors seek to equip students to serve individuals from different backgrounds with widely different needs. The program has a unique multicultural focus with an emphasis on social justice. Additionally, the program places a strong emphasis on integrating the curriculum with Christian worldview.
Program Quick Facts
- Next start: August 26, 2024
- 60 credits
- $704 per credit
- $14,080 average annual tuition costs (2024–25)
- Application deadlines: Jan. 31, and April 1
- 36 months
- Flexible, asynchronous program format
- Fully accredited university
The master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at Northwest University was developed to be aligned with the standards of the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). We are currently in the application process for initial accreditation with CACREP. View the latest CMHC Annual Report.
The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) program strives to equip individuals, through a distinct Christian Worldview, for service in the mental health field as licensed professional counselors working with diverse populations using evidenced-based practices and to be a catalyst in the integration of counseling, culture, and social justice through spiritual vitality, academic excellence, and empowered engagement with human need.
Licensable Degree for the State of Washington
Our graduate counseling program meets the requirements for licensure in Washington State. Graduate knowing that you can become a fully licensed counselor. Licensure information for other states is also available.
January 31st Priority Application Deadline
April 1st Main Application Deadline
Not all online programs are accredited—something you never have to worry about at NU.
80+ years of experience and knowledge went into creating our online courses.
Every course includes a component that helps you relate the subject to your faith.
Faculty Who Care
Our instructors are experts who love students and bring out their very best.
Hear Directly From Students
A Word from the Interim Dean
I think the most rewarding part of our mental health degree program is the residency experience. This opportunity allows students to gain the hands-on experience necessary and to know how to apply the skills needed to do the work of counseling. It also allows students and faculty to become more deeply acquainted and for students to learn from each other.
Dr. Robert Campbell
Interim Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Why Choose an Online Master Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Northwest University?
- Obtain a degree from a university accredited by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- Take a step toward practicing as a licensed counseling professional.
- Have both the flexibility of an online program and the support of a blended program—one that has periodic face-to-face interaction with faculty and fellow students.
- Incorporate your faith experience with academic learning and applied skills.
- Gain a deeper understanding of cultural context, enabling yourself to serve a broad range of clientele.
- Gain the opportunity to shift your career into the counseling field from other disciplines.