Our Accounting Degree Adds Up to a Great Career
Investing in your future at NU can open up opportunities to enter the competitive field of business and accounting. Northwest University's College of Business can help you build on your strengths. Offering core-level business training in economics, accounting, management, marketing, and finance, the Accounting major will prepare you for a successful career.
Why Accounting at Northwest University?
- Benefit from small class sizes, which enable mentoring relationships with professors and opportunities for meaningful communication.
- Participate in a program that balances strong ethical, spiritual, and moral perspectives.
- Gain practical training in industry software programs such as Practice Sets, Excel, and QuickBooks.
- Pursue career development opportunities such as internships and international learning experiences.
- Have confidence in your education with accreditation from the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs, the highest accreditation possible for business schools that focus on teaching excellence.
- The Witthuhn Investment Group
- Klinge and Associates, Inc.
- Clark Nuber
- Northwest Mutual Financial
- Pacific Capital's The Road to Excellence
- Senior Financial Advisors, Inc.
Common Career Paths
U.S. News identifies the Accounting field as the #3 "Best Business job" because of its low unemployment (4.2% in 2014), solid growth forecast (13.1%) and robust earning potential ($63,550 median salary in 2014). Some of the positions that a degree in Accounting can open up for you include:
- Public Accountant / Auditor
- Tax Accountant
- Tax Consultant
- Management Accountant
- Internal Auditor
- Chief Financial Officer
- Government Auditor
Preparing for Licensure
In addition to the Core Business courses, Accounting students take a total of 24 Accounting credits (see catalog for list), that will qualify students to sit for the uniform CPA examination in Washington and other states. Students can meet the additional requirement from the Washington Board of Accountancy of 150 college or graduate semester hour credits ( also including 24 semester credits of business courses) by completing an MBA at Northwest University or another school.
For more information on becoming a Certified Public Accountant: http://www.cpaboard.wa.gov/
Word from the College of Business
Dean & Professor of Business
"At Northwest University, you will develop business skills in the context of a Christian perspective. All students take a series of core courses in the fundamentals of economics, accounting, management, marketing, and finance before they focus on advanced major courses. Pursuing a career in business is an extraordinary opportunity to serve others and fulfill your unique calling, while creating positive social change and honoring God by contributing to a vibrant economy."
A complete list of courses can be found in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog.
Course ListingsView Required Courses
Ready to get started? Begin the admission process now by completing our online application form. Or fill out the Request Info form, and a member of our Admissions team will contact you soon.